Monday, November 01, 2004

Pascal, Lewis, Edwards, Piper

Pascal, Lewis, Edwards, Piper. Four authors.
These four authors all have something in common. They all talk about joy and pleasure and how that is the motivation for every action that a human being makes.
I am a christian hedonist. What does this mean? It means that I live for pleasure. How? By obeying God and living for Him. That is how God designed us to live and that is how I try to live. We can only really follow God if we live for Him and we will only be able to live for God when we realize that we will only find true satisfaction in him. If this sounds strange and perhaps heretical realize that it is not my own idea. It comes from the Bible and is touted by the four authors mentioned above. For instance, I quote Pascal , "All men seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war and others avoiding it is the same desire in both attended with different views. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves." I have just been thinking alot about these ideas and I just wanted to put some of those thoughts here.

No comments: