Monday, November 14, 2005

there and back again

Hey guys, I just got back from an MK get-together this weekend. It was at Perry Pust's house, an MAF guy, formerly a pilot in Indonesia, now an MAF recruiter/representative in the Northwest. All of us that were there were connected through having been Indonesia and personaly knowing the Pusts; that is we had all either been in Indonesia, were MKs going to school with an Indonesian MK, or were good friends of or engaged/married to an Indonesian MK. Four of us from Moody here went, including one guy who grew up in Indonesia. We got there Friday night but most folks didnt arrive till Saturday. We ate authentic Indonesian food and hung out and had an awesome time. We played lots of games, watched a movie (we were also going to watch the God's Must Be Crazy never got around to it), discussed all sorts of things from the place of music in church to problems caused by large groups of missionaries living in one place to different types of food, and of course told many many stories and generaly connected as only MKs can! We had an incredible time. All of us knew at least one other person since the general idea was for the Indonesian MKs to come with whatever friends they wanted to bring. For my part, I only knew Perry Pust a little from his visits to Moody here and of course my fellow students that I went with. But of course within a very short time we had all warmed up and were laughing and rough housing (throwing little plastic toy balls at each other) and sharing outrageous stories of moterbikes and gigantic splinters and snake-zappers and all sorts of great experiences. I am always amazed by how quickly and strongly we MKs connect when we get together even when we dont know each other at all. I am so glad I am an MK!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

contentment is a great attitude to have!

i didn't know you rode motorbikes? do you really mean motorcycles that go up in mountains, carry lots of people- usually Hondas? like a TMX or XRM version? aren't they great?!!

-b/k

Unknown said...

sorry to burst your bubble, but I have never ridden a true moterbike, only a dirt bike and only twice and I scared myself. I was only listening to the stories about moterbikes since I didnt have any to share.

Anonymous said...

actually that makes me feel better, b/c i hadn't thought you'd had a bike. ;) though how in tarnation you can scare yourself on a dirtbike but train to be a missionary pilot is beyond me!!!

Unknown said...

well its this thing of the acceleration mechanism on a bike. Its designed poorly in that when you accelerate there is a tendency for the rider to be thrown backward which tends to cause the grip on the handlebar to be gripped all the more tightly, in this case causeing the grip to rotate farther causeing the throttle to open further causeing greater acceleration... the only thing that saves you is the fact that the clutch and brake are of a similar design in that you must pull on them in order for them to be actuated.

Josué Greenman said...

Yea...the first time I road a bike was in Bolivia...I crashed it into a sidewalk and really screwed it up. Poor guy who owned it.....